India at Cancun: What are political leaders saying?By IANS
Friday, December 10, 2010
NEW DELHI - This is how political leaders and environmentalists reacted to Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh’s statement at Cancun on India accepting legally binding emission cuts:
* Tarun Vijay, Bharatiya Janata Party: The way he is presenting India’s case is self-deceiving.
* Brinda Karat, Communist Party of India-Marxist: It’s a sell out (to the US).
* D. Raja, Communist Party of India: It is a serious issue as it goes beyond what the government has been pursuing with the approval of the parliament.
* Sunita Narain, director, Centre For Science and Environment (CSE): India shifted its position to completely let the US off the hook. I am completely appalled at the minister’s statement at Cancun.
* Prodipto Ghosh, former environment secretary and distinguished fellow at The Energy Research Institute (TERI): The minister obviously contemplates a legally binding commitment.