Six options on the Telangana tangleBy IANS
Thursday, January 6, 2011
NEW DELHI - The following are the six options given by the Justice Srikrishna Committee on the vexed issue of separate statehood for Telangana to be carved out of Andhra Pradesh:
- The committee has recommended letting Andhra Pradesh be united and have special constitutional measures for development of the Telangana region.
- The second option is bifurcation of the state into Seemandhra and Telangana states.
- The third option is having Telangana and Andhra as separate states with Hyderabad as the Telangana capital.
- The fourth option is Hyderabad to be given a union territory status. The two regions will develop their own capitals in due course.
- The fifth option is to divide the state into Rayala-Telangana and coastal Andhra regions, with Hyderabad as an integral part of Rayala-Telangana.
- The last option the committee has offered is creation of statutory empowered Telangana regional council.
The report was released on the home ministry website Thursday.