MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - A Wall Street adviser leaves early for work to avoid panhandlers at his suburban train station.
WASHINGTON - The number of people living in poverty has climbed to 14.3 percent of Americans, with the ranks of working-age poor reaching the highest level since at least 1965.
BEIJING - Census takers counting China's more than 1.3 billion people already face a daunting task, and it's getting harder for the latest once-a-decade update.
WASHINGTON - With the 2010 census nearly finished, the government said Tuesday it will save $1.6 billion in the cost of the U.S.
WASHINGTON - Nearly 1 in 5 American women beyond childbearing years never gave birth as fewer couples, particularly higher-educated whites, view having children as necessary to a good marriage.
- Census: With jobs scarce, Rust Belt cities decline
- Census: Multiracial US becoming even more diverse
- Census workers find SC man who had fallen in home
- Groves names Mich. statistician to new census post
- Detained immigrants may help bring in census money
- Census question over caste identity divides India
- Gulf Coast population surges, but will it last?
- Is US a melting pot? Interracial marriage slows
- Audit: Computer glitches to drive up census costs
- Census workers get ready for door-to-door count
- GAO: Census has computer problem
- GOP lawmaker disgusted with RNC 'census' mailings
- Census mail results could be trouble for 5 states
- Census returns hit 72 percent, match rate in 2000
- Census: Women equal to men in advanced degrees
- Biracial or not? Census is a test for some
- 1st census signed by Jefferson fetches $122,500
- Census: No evidence of a conservative boycott
- Lacking state funding, Census response rates lag
- In Minn., governor takes his time with census form
- High risks that threaten to derail 2010 census
- US census on track but toughest part yet to come
- Census ads seek to boost minority participation
- Census Bureau urges same-sex couples to be counted
- Karl Rove ad urges residents to fill out census
- Obama's census choice: simply African-American
- Obama marks 'Census Day' by filling out form
- Obama fills out census form
- India begins world's biggest head count
- 1st census signed by Jefferson up for NYC auction
- 3-day effort aims for accurate census of homeless
- Congress banning misleading census mailings
- Census: 20 percent of US filled out surveys so far
- Census: 16 percent of US filled out surveys so far
- Snowmobiles, ATVs, lobster boats for census count