Mirchpur incident: Jats to call off protestBy IANS
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
CHANDIGARH - Jats demanding a Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe into last year’s Mirchpur caste violence are expected to end their 11-day-old agitation Wednesday, an official said.
Jat representatives spoke about ending the stir after they met state Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda at Kaithal town late Tuesday.
Two rounds of discussions between Jat representatives and the state government had failed to yield result, following which a 45-member committee was formed Monday.
“A 45-member committee of Jats has assured the chief minister that the ongoing agitation would be withdrawn,” said the official spokesperson of Haryana government.
Bhag Singh Jalabh, president of the 45-member committee, said: “Our meeting with the chief minister was held in a very cordial atmosphere and decision to withdraw the agitation was taken only after feeling satisfied.”
“All the blockades would be removed by 10 a.m. We have full faith in the system of delivery of justice,” he added.
Protesters, including scores of women, are sitting on protest in Jind for the last 11 days and they had intensified their agitation Sunday.
They blocked all the highways and the Delhi-Ferozepur rail line near Jind railway station. Jind district was cut off from the rest of the state for the third consecutive day Tuesday.
Protesters also blocked different roads in Hisar, Bhiwani, Fatehabad and Rohtak districts.
The Jat mahapanchayat, a congregation of 42 khap panchayats, has demanded an SIT probe into the Mirchpur caste violence in which an elderly Dalit man and his daughter were killed.
The state government has agreed to refer the case to the CBI, but the protestors are adamant on their demand for an SIT probe.
Besides, the protesters have also sought shifting of the court trial from New Delhi to Hisar and the release of arrested Jat youths.
Mirchpur village in Hisar district hit the headlines last year when some people from the dominant upper caste Jat community set fire to a row of houses of Dalit (Balmiki) families April 21.
A 70-year-old man and his 18-year-old physically-challenged daughter were killed in the fire and at least 18 houses were destroyed in the attack.
As many as 150 Dalit families were driven out of the village, about 300 km from Chandigarh, and their homes were torched.
The trial of the youths accused of the arson attack was shifted to New Delhi in December following the directions of the Supreme Court.
A total of 98 Jat youths were arrested in the case and are currently lodged in a jail in New Delhi.