Guinea’s top court says 2 top presidential contenders will face each other in a run-offBy AP
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Court: Guinea presidential vote to go to runoff
CONAKRY, Guinea — Guinea’s top court has announced final results from last month’s presidential election and confirmed that the top two finishers will face each other in a runoff.
Supreme Court Chief Justice Mamadou Sima Sylla said Tuesday that former prime minister Cellou Dalein Diallo garnered nearly 44 percent of the vote, short of the simple majority needed to avoid a second round.
Longtime opposition politician Alpha Conde won just about 18 percent, while another ex-premier, Sidya Toure came in third place with close to 13 percent of the vote.
The election has been praised as the first free vote in Guinea’s dictator-plagued history. No date for the second round has been confirmed.