MOSCOW - Moscow police on Friday detained several gay rights opponents at the first sanctioned gay rights protest in years, marking a sharp reversal of policy after last week's dismissal of the city's notoriously intolerant mayor.
BOGOTA - The Colombian military searched rugged southern jungles Tuesday for a governor seized by a commando unit of suspected leftist rebels in the country's first major political kidnapping in years.
MANILA, Philippines - Tribal gunmen freed 47 hostages in the southern Philippines on Sunday, but the region continued to be wracked by violence as suspected Islamic radicals staged a deadly jail break in which dozens of inmates were freed, including comrades accused of beheading marines.
SALT LAKE CITY - Ten days of testimony in a federal court competency hearing shed new light on the man charged in the abduction of Elizabeth Smart but also raised some persistent questions about his mental state.
MANILA, Philippines - Officials negotiated for a second day Friday with government-armed former militiamen who took 57 villagers hostage in the southern Philippines to press their demands that murder and banditry charges against them be dropped.
- Talks resume for release of 57 Philippine hostages
- Paraguay leader withdraws anti-terrorism bill
- Philippine ex-militiamen hold 57 hostages
- All children among Philippine hostages released
- Prison expert: Accused Smart kidnapper incompetent
- Bishop-turned-president tested in Paraguay
- Belarusian opposition activists abducted
- Rehab center forced Mexicans into slave labor
- Competency hearing begins in Elizabeth Smart case
- Spain: 3 aid workers kidnapped in Mauritania
- Police: 3 aid workers kidnapped in Mauritania
- Competency hearing set in Smart abduction case
- Embattled Mexican mayor sent family to live in US
- Japanese engineer released by Yemeni tribesmen
- Embassy: Japanese man released by Yemeni captors
- Iraq sentences militia leader to death
- Iraq paramilitary leader gets death sentence
- Somali pirates free 36 hostages, claim $3M ransom
- Somali pirate: $3.3M ransom paid, 36 hostages free
- Judge rules on witnesses in Smart case hearing
- Lawyer: Woman will enter guilty plea in Smart case
- Japanese engineer kidnapped by Yemen tribesmen