QUITO, Ecuador - It was the biggest test of Rafael Correa's nearly 4-year-old presidency, a bloody trial by fire for a tenacious politician whose popular government had brought relative calm to a chronically unstable country.
QUITO, Ecuador - Ecuador was under a state of siege Friday, the streets quiet with the military in charge of public order, after soldiers rescued President Rafael Correa from a hospital where he'd been surrounded by police who roughed him up and tear-gassed him earlier.
BANGKOK - Thousands of anti-government "Red Shirt" protesters defied a state of emergency in Thailand's capital to stage their first major demonstration since their street protests were ended by a deadly military crackdown in May.
BANGKOK - Hundreds of anti-government activists carried roses to prisons around Thailand on Friday to show their support for jailed colleagues and begin a series of protests marking the fourth anniversary of a military coup.
ISTANBUL - A Turkish lawmaker demanded Wednesday that the leaders of a 1980 military coup be brought to trial, following approval of constitutional amendments that lifted their immunity.
- NY pols with legal woes who staged coup lose bids
- 4 executed in Equatorial Guinea coup plot
- Guinea prime minister denies bias ahead of vote
- Dimitrios Ioannidis, who toppled Greek junta, dies
- Mexico, Chile recognize Honduran government
- Chile formally recognizes Honduran government
- Turkish court orders arrest of 102 in coup plot
- US slams accusations it was behind Honduras coup
- Honduran ex-president: US was behind my overthrow
- Bangkok defeat won't be end of Red Shirt struggle
- Honduras starts coup investigation with US support
- US ambassador: Honduras' Zelaya acted erratically
- Thailand seeks way out of political crisis
- Thai poll body says ruling party must be dissolved
- Thai protesters parade their dead after clashes
- Thai protesters parade coffins after clashes
- Voting begins in Sudan's historic elections
- Protesters shun talks after deadly Bangkok clashes
- Thai army pulls back from protest clashes; 18 dead
- Thai army pulls back from protest clashes; 15 dead
- Thai army pulls back from protest clashes; 11 dead
- Thai PM vows to restore order after deadly clashes
- Thai army pulls back from protest clashes; 10 dead
- Hospital official: 10 killed in Thai clashes
- Thai troops pull back from protest clashes; 5 dead
- Thai troops retreat from battles with protesters
- Thai move on protesters but fail to dislodge them
- Thai troops in riot gear advance on protesters
- Emboldened Thai protesters vow to raise pressure
- Thai PM vows not to give in to intensified protest
- Thai protesters storm into TV compound
- Turkish police detain 19 in coup plot
- Protesters vow to stay in Bangkok commercial core
- Defiant Thai protesters fan out in nervous capital
- Live on TV: Thai PM vs. anti-government protesters