JOHANNESBURG - A U.N. draft report says the Rwandan army and Congolese rebel allies now in power committed massacres of Hutu refugees in Congo in the 1990s that could be classified as genocide.
AMMAN, Jordan - In a surprise visit to Amman on Tuesday, Israel's prime minister tried to mobilize Jordan's king in his effort to persuade the Palestinians to resume direct peace talks, though the chief Palestinian negotiator again rejected the idea.
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - The top security official in Hamas-ruled Gaza said Tuesday he is considering setting up a bigger military force, first with volunteers and eventually with conscripts as well.
WASHINGTON - Rep. Charles Rangel is again calling for a military draft to highlight the fact that relatively few families are bearing a disproportionate burden in fighting the nation's wars.
- Sweden scraps military conscription
- 75,000 Uzbeks flee ethnic riots in Kyrgyzstan
- Uzbekistan: 75,000 Uzbeks flee riots in Kyrgyzstan
- Uzbekistan says 75,000 refugees fled Kyrgyzstan
- Mobs burn villages, slaughter Uzbeks in Kyrgyzstan
- EPA criticizes military buildup plan in Guam
- Karzai: Afghanistan may institute conscription
- Chile murder mystery: Who killed Victor Jara?