Release Time: For Immediate Release BLIND AMERICANS EQUALITY DAY, 2011 BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION Generations of blind and visually impaired Americans have dedicated their passion and skills to enhancing our national life -- leading as public servants, penning works of literature, lending their voice to music, and inspiring as champions of sport. On Blind Americans Equality Day, we celebrate the achievements of blind and visually impaired Americans and reaffirm our commitment to advancing their complete social and economic integration.
Release Time: For Immediate Release NATIONAL DISABILITY EMPLOYMENT AWARENESS MONTH, 2011 BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION Utilizing the talents of all Americans is essential for our Nation to out-innovate, out-educate, and out-build the rest of the world. During National Disability Employment Awareness Month, we recognize the skills that people with disabilities bring to our workforce, and we rededicate ourselves to improving employment opportunities in both the public and private sectors for those living with disabilities.
Release Time: For Immediate Release On July 26, 1990, the Americans with Disabilities Act was signed into law. That landmark civil rights legislation reaffirmed the idea that all our citizens, regardless of disability, are entitled to the same privileges, pursuits, and opportunities as everyone else. As the Obama Administration marks that anniversary, there still remain many steps we must take together to ensure that the spirit and letter of that law are upheld.
Release Time: For Immediate Release On June 22, 1999, the Supreme Court ruled in Olmstead v.
Release Time: For Immediate Release Location: South Lawn 3:18 P.M.
- Readout of Vice President Biden’s Visit with Volunteers for the 25th Annual National Disabled Veterans Winter Sports Clinic
- Nomination Sent to the Senate
- Presidential Proclamation–International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Presidential Proclamation–National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- Executive Order– Increasing Federal Employment of Individuals with Disabilities
- Presidential Proclamation–Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- On Anniversary of Olmstead, President Obama Highlights Administration’s Actions to Assist Americans with Disabilities