DARJEELING - Normal life was paralysed in West Bengal's Darjeeling Hills Monday for the sixth day due to an indefinite shutdown called by the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) protesting the death of three party activists in police firing, police said.
KOLKATA/DARJEELING - The situation in West Bengal's Darjeeling hills continued to be tense but no fresh trouble was reported Friday, day three of an indefinite shutdown called by pro-Gorkhaland Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) against the death of two activists in police firing.
DARJEELING - Shops and business establishments were closed in West Bengal's Darjeeling district Thursday, the second day of a 27-day shutdown called by the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) to press for a separate Gorkhaland state, police said.
DARJEELING - Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee emphasised that she would urge Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to visit the hills in West Bengal and offer special economic package to the people of the region.
DARJEELING - Trinamool Congress chief and union Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday promised a job to one family member of each of the eight martyrs of the Kargil war from Darjeeling.
- Mamata begins Darjeeling tour, meets political parties
- Yechury favours all party talks on Darjeeling issue
- Anti-GJM parties hold public meeting in Darjeeling
- ‘Jaswant’s return to BJP will strengthen Gorkhaland movement’
- Shutdown by Gorkhas paralyses West Bengal’s Darjeeling
- New state will be Gorkha Adivasi Pradesh, says Gurung
- GJM plunges into crisis as prominent leaders desert party
- Tamang’s death may drag Darjeeling Hills into chaos (News Analysis, repeating for all needing)
- Tamang’s death may drag Darjeeling Hills into chaos (News Analysis)
- No consensus on Gorkhaland, talks to continue (Roundup)
- No Gorkhaland state, but talks to continue: home secretary (Third Lead)
- No Gorkhaland state, but talks to continue: home secretary (Second Lead)
- No statehood but talks on to solve Gorkhaland problem: home secretary