TUNIS/SANA'A/ALGIERS - Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi desperately hung on to power as international pressure mounted on him to quit, with the US imposing sanctions following a ruthless crackdown on protesters.
ALGIERS/PARIS - Hundreds of protesters Saturday took part in the first demonstrations held in Algeria since the lifting of the 19-year-old state of emergency earlier this week, witnesses said.
ALGIERS - Algeria has officially lifted the state of emergency, which was in force for 19 years, the official APS news agency reported.
ALGIERS/PARIS - Algeria's cabinet Tuesday adopted a decision to lift the country's 19-year-old state of emergency.
ALGIERS - Several people were injured when police used batons to break up a pro-democracy rally in this Algerian capital, a media report said Sunday.
- Algeria gears up for protest rally, riot police deployed
- Algerian premier to lift emergency
- Algerian police clamp down on pro-democracy protest
- Demonstrators gather for pro-democracy marches in Algeria
- Tunisians celebrate Mubarak departure, Algeria braces for contagion
- 4 Saharan countries set up joint military base
- Chief of Algerian police killed by colleague
- French hostage freed in Mali
- Egypt, Algeria cool tensions before soccer match
- Algeria summons US ambassador over security rules
- More like Che needed to fight injustice: Aleida Guevara
- Egyptian soccer fans riot against Algeria
- Egypt, Algeria soccer tiff grows