Venezuelan hunger striker dies after repeated protests over land dispute with governmentBy AP
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Farmer-turned-hunger striker dies in Venezuela
CARACAS, Venezuela — A Venezuelan farmer who staged repeated hunger strikes to protest a government-sanctioned takeover of his farm has died in a military hospital in Caracas.
Franklin Brito’s family announced his death on Monday night. The 49-year-old Brito’s emaciated figure had in recent months become a banner for opponents of President Hugo Chavez who joined the family in accusing the government of violating his rights.
Brito was kept in recent months in Caracas’ military hospital. His brother, Hector Brito, said at the hospital on Monday night that the family had asked for Brito’s body to be turned over and had been told they had to wait until morning.
Tags: Caracas, Latin America And Caribbean, Military Affairs, Protests And Demonstrations, South America, Venezuela